P0741 It is a very common fault code. It is known that it affects Cadillac DTS very often. This is what it means:
P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit → Performance or Stuck
DTS uses a clutch in the torque converter to lock the engine and transmission together at highway speeds. Parameter P0741 can be recorded whenever this connection does not occur at all or occurs correctly.
The P0741 code does not affect the engine performance of your Cadillac DTS at all. It is purely streaming-related code. However, engine response may “feel” different without torque converter lockup.
The vehicle’s PCM (Power Train Control Module) will release the P0741 fault code on the Cadillac DTS if there is a difference that is greater than 200 rpm between the transmission input shaft and the torque converter speed.
It is a generic powertrain code, meaning it has the same meaning regardless of who manufactured the vehicle (DTS or not).
In the case of P0741, the code gives you two reasons why the code was recorded. Are:
- Performance– The clutch, like all clutches, is failing.
- Stuck– Somewhere in the DTS wiring there is an error that prevents the TCC from engaging. In most cases, this will be the problem.
With this knowledge, there can only be many things that cause P0741. We will discuss them directly below.
See also: P0700 Cadillac DTS
Cadillac DTS P0741 Diagnostics
These are the most common problems that can cause P0741 in the DTS:
- Bad torque converter lockup solenoid– The solenoid that allows the torque converter to lock up is usually the culprit. Here is a good article on how to diagnose and repair the TCC solenoid. This can be a difficult problem for the shadow mechanic to solve. You have to check the resistance of the circuit and check the wiring. That being said, it doesn’t hurt to follow the wiring and see if you can find any obvious problems. Here’s how to use a scanner to diagnose it:
- Bad torque converter clutch– The clutch itself can break down, just like a manual transmission. The good news is that when this clutch goes bad, the transmission will continue to get you where you need to go. Although it does so at a slightly higher number of revolutions.
- Short circuit in TCC– A short circuit in the wiring from the TCC to the TCM can cause P0741.
- defective TCM– The transmission control module itself may be the cause of P0741 on your DTS. Although, it’s probably not the first place you should check. The wiring should be the first place you check, as it is most likely the problem.
DTS P0741 Symptoms
Here are the three main symptoms of P0741 on the Cadillac DTS:
- Decreased MPG– Since the converter cannot lock properly, fuel efficiency will decrease as highway RPM increases.
- RPM slightly higher than speed– Increased RPM at high speed is usually the most obvious sign that there is something wrong with the TCC. It will feel like you are driving an old car. Locked torque converters didn’t come into fashion until the late 1970s.
- Prompt engine service– Even if there are no other symptoms of OBDII code P0741 on your Cadillac DTS, the service engine light may cause you to fail the inspection.
Good luck with P0741 and your Cadillac DTS. If there is anything you want to add, feel free to leave a comment below.