P0123 is a relatively common OBD-II code. It is generic, meaning it has the same meaning for the Lincoln Town Car as it does for any other vehicle. It is an OBDII code that refers to problems with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). This is a relatively serious problem, as it can leave your vehicle stranded or very limited.
The throttle position sensor controls the angle of the throttle blade. When the throttle is closed, the signal sent to the ECM is about 0.45 volts. When the throttle is fully open, the signal will be about 5 volts. P0123 occurs when your Town Car’s TPS voltage is above the upper operating range.
P0123 occurs when your car’s TPS voltage is higher than the upper operating range.
Lincoln Town Car: P0123 Symptoms
The symptoms of P0123 are going to vary depending on the year and model, but they are certainly going to cause noticeable changes in the way your Town Car runs. Without a proper TPS signal, your Town Car will compensate in several ways.
These are the most common symptoms of P0123:
- throttle response– Your mayTown car barely responds to the accelerator. This limited power is a safety mechanism so that the vehicle can move, but not super fast. Since the ECM doesn’t really know how much throttle response is produced when you step on the accelerator.
- Idle speed problems– Without knowing exactly where the throttle is, the Town Car’s computer may have difficulty achieving the correct idle speed.
Different model years and engine combinations will experience different symptoms.
P0123 Diagnostic: Lincoln Town Car
The OBDII code P0123 is a serious problem that requires serious attention. Diagnosing it can be difficult without a good scanner and knowledge of what you are doing. Here is a YouTube video showing how to diagnose this code with a scanner.
A good mechanic will use a scanner to diagnose when the codes were set and reset them. Then they will see if the problem appears again.
If everything checks out and the code comes back, you can go ahead and replace the TPS sensor in question. Most of the time, the problem when P0123 is thrown will be the TPS sensor itself. It no longer registers the force with which the fuel pedal is depressed.
P0123 Causes: Town Car
There are a few problems that cause P0123. Are:
- Wiring problems: Since the TPS is so accessible, a good starting point is to do a visual inspection of the wiring and the wire harness leading to it from the engine computer. Is there any damage? Here is a great article on diagnosing a short circuit.
- Bad TPS: There is a video on YouTube on how to diagnose a TPS sensor. If you need one they are pretty cheap on Amazon.
- The TPS is not mounted correctly: Although not very common, it is possible that the TPS sensor has not been mounted correctly. If you have recently replaced it and you get P0123, it is a good idea to check the instructions for the replacement sensor and see if it is mentioned.
Conclusion of the Lincoln Town Car P0123
Diagnosing the problem with a scanner or having a mechanic take a look can save you the expense of purchasing a TPS sensor that your Town Car doesn’t really need.
Good luck diagnosing P0123 on your Lincoln Town Car. If there is anything you would like to add, please leave a comment below. Thank you for reading.