The error code P2279 can be defined as Intake Air System Leak. It is a generic code for the engine control module that detects a vacuum leak in the engine.
It would mean that unmetered air is entering the engine without being detected by the engine passing through the mass air flow sensor as well as the throttle body.
Learn more about OBD error code P2279
The car engine uses a mass air sensor or MAP sensor to decide the amount of air that would enter the intake manifold.
Reads: Error Code P0021 OBD-A Camshaft Position – Overly advanced timing or system performance Bank 2
The air mass sensor uses a “hot wire” for this purpose. The MAP sensor would then indicate the pressure inside the manifold.
What causes this intake air system leak problem?
- Leak between the engine side of the mass air sensor and the air duct
- Cleaning the air duct on the engine side
- There may be a leak in the intake air temperature sensor
- Throttle Body Leak Issues
- The intake manifold not working properly
- The vacuum hose may be defective
- There may be an inoperative fuel injector gasket in the manifold
- Brake booster vacuum hose could be leaking
- There may be a leak under the dashboard in a vacuum-operated device
- PCV valve may be stuck
- The crankcase oil filler cap is stuck
- Anything connected to the intake manifold can cause this problem.
Replace/repair these parts to fix the P2279 code
- engine control module – There may be some engine performance problems due to a faulty engine control module. If the engine control module (ECM) fails or has any problems, it can lead to vehicle performance problems such as misfires, hesitation, loss of power, and sometimes even decreased fuel economy.
- Throttle Actuator Connector – If the throttle actuator connector is defective, it may cause the accelerator pedal to not open in time and cause improper throttle response and slow acceleration. Therefore, replace it now!
- Powertrain control module – PCM means powertrain control module. It is a car part, a control unit used in motor vehicles. It is generally a combined control unit, consisting of the engine control unit (ECU) and the transmission control unit (TCU).
- Electronic Control Unit – If your car’s check engine light stays on constantly, and never goes off, there is a good chance that your vehicle has a damaged electronic control unit. There are many reasons why a car’s check engine light stays on. The most common reason is a faulty ECU.
- Diagnostic tools – It is always advisable to use the correct tools and equipment while solving any problem. OBD code, since even small errors can lead to a wrong diagnosis. Therefore, always take the help of a professional who has the knowledge and experience of such tools efficiently.
Symptoms of OBD error code P2279
Our main motive is to achieve customer satisfaction, since for us our customers are everything and that is why we will help you diagnose code P2279 mentioning some of the main symptoms below:
- The service engine soon light starts to come on
- The car engine may start to run rough or may stall if there is a significant vacuum leak.
- The engine may start to run poorly
- Problems related to engine misfires
- Increased fuel consumption
How to Fix Intake Air System Leak Problem
If you wish to fix this error code, then you have to follow certain steps. Correcting a problem needs your careful attention. Here are some ways with the help of which you will be able to fix OBD Code P2279:
- Make sure to relearn the throttle position for the ECM
- Rehabilitate leaking intake gaskets or seals
- Carefully adjust faults in the PCM
- Reset ECU operation
- Recondition non-functioning PCV valve or hose
Vehicles that frequently display the OBD code P2279
|P2279 Acura OBD Error Code
|P2279 Honda OBD Error Code
|P2279 Mitsubishi OBD Error Code
|P2279 Audi OBD Error Code
|P2279 Hyundai OBD Error Code
|P2279 Nissan OBD Error Code
|P2279 BMW OBD Error Code
|P2279 Infiniti OBD Error Code
|P2279 Porsche OBD Error Code
|P2279 Buick OBD Error Code
|P2279 Jaguar OBD Error Code
|P2279 Saab OBD Error Code
|P2279 Cadillac OBD Error Code
|P2279 Jeep OBD Error Code
|P2279 Scion OBD Error Code
|P2279 Chevrolet OBD Error Code
|P2279 Kia OBD Error Code
|P2279 Subaru OBD Error Code
|P2279 Chrysler OBD Error Code
|P2279 Lexus OBD Error Code
|P2279 Toyota OBD Error Code
|P2279 Dodge OBD Error Code
|P2279 Lincoln OBD Error Code
|P2279 Vauxhall OBD Error Code
|P2279 Ford OBD Error Code
|P2279 Mazda OBD Error Code
|P2279 Volkswagen OBD Error Code
|P2279 GMC OBD Error Code
|P2279 Mercedes OBD Error Code
|P2279 Volvo OBD Error Code
Easy Diagnosis of Engine Error OBD Code P2279
Here are some steps you need to follow to diagnose this error code:
- This is a general type error code that is diagnosed with the help of a scanner.
- The mechanic will insert a scanner into the vehicle’s diagnostic port and retrieve the freeze frame codes and data.
- If you find any additional error codes, you need to address them as well.
- Once this is done, you have to restart the vehicle and then do a test drive to see if the error code appears.
- If the error code does not return, then there may be an erratic condition.
- Next, the mechanic has to check the cables, connectors, and other electrical components and replace them quickly if they are found damaged or defective.
- Check the engine for any vacuum leaks, broken or loose vacuum hoses, or misplaced air intake hoses.
- Also, remove the PCV valve and inspect it to make sure it is not stuck in the open position.
- Throttle body parts or components should be checked to see if they have been recently cleaned and then allowed to relearn the throttle position.
- If all components appear to function perfectly, inspect the PCM for faults and replace it along with reprogramming.
Common errors when diagnosing the P2279 code
- Most technicians make the big mistake of clearing the codes from the ECM memory before inspecting the freeze frame data for the main fault problem, so the fault can be duplicated and repaired.
- Another mistake could be cleaning the throttle body and not relearning the throttle position again.
- Many mechanics simply adjust the throttle plates to compensate for a vacuum leak.