He P2118 It is a generic type of diagnostic trouble code that refers to the current/performance of the throttle control motor. You can find this error code along with the other throttle position sensor codes.
The error code P2118 will be set on the vehicle if a malfunctioning throttle control actuator motor is found by the PCM.
Learn more about OBD error code P2118
Throttle bodies that are electronically controlled use the throttle actuator control motor. It is also known as drive-by-wire.
In these systems, the accelerator pedal acts as a sensor that sends signals to the throttle actuator control motor so that the throttle plate can be opened and closed on demand.
Reads: Error Code P0321 OBD – Ignition Engine Speed Input Circuit/Distributor Range/Performance
When the NDE detects that the throttle actuator control motor performance is poor or out of range, the error P2118 will be set to the vehicle displaying the check engine light on the dashboard.
Furthermore, the Error code also initiates fail-safe mode so that damage to the vehicle can be prevented. This condition will prevail until the problem is resolved or normal operation is found.
What causes this problem with the Throttle Control Motor Current Range?
- The throttle actuator control motor may be defective.
- The pedal position sensor fails.
- The throttle position sensor has failed.
- There may be an open circuit, or the actuator circuit may be shorted.
- The electrical connection could be weak.
Replace/repair these parts to fix OBD code P2118
- butterfly body – A poor vehicle idle indicates that the throttle body is damaged. Replace it to avoid error code P2118.
- Throttle actuator control system – An inaccurate air-fuel ratio indicates a malfunction of the throttle actuator control system. Repair it quickly or replace it with a new one.
- Powertrain Control Module – The PCM may be defective, if the engine performance is very poor. Get the right replacement for your faulty PCM.
- Engine Control Module – Erratic engine behavior shows that the ECM is damaged or defective. Fix it as soon as possible or replace it with a new ECM.
- Pedal position sensor – If the vehicle experiences sudden jerks, then the pedal position sensor may be faulty. Replace it quickly to avoid error P2118.
- Actuator Circuit – If the actuator circuit is damaged, then the check engine light will come on. Fix it immediately by replacing the damaged actuator circuit.
Symptoms of OBD Error Code P2118
It is essential to know the symptoms of a problem as only then you be able to solve the problem. So that’s why we have listed some of the main symptoms of OBD code P2118 here:
- Engine misfire conditions.
- Due to a lack of power, the engine will run poorly.
How to Correct P2118 Throttle Control Motor Current Range
Here are some ways with the help of which you will be able to fix OBD Code P2118
- Repairing or replacing the wiring harness.
- Replace the throttle actuator control motor.
- Changing the pedal position sensor.
- Changing the damaged throttle position sensor.
- The weak electrical connection must be fixed.
Vehicles that frequently display the OBD code P2118
|P2118 Acura OBD Error Code
|P2118 Honda OBD Error Code
|P2118 Mitsubishi OBD Error Code
|P2118 Audi OBD Error Code
|P2118 Hyundai OBD Error Code
|P2118 Nissan OBD Error Code
|P2118 BMW OBD Error Code
|P2118 Infiniti OBD Error Code
|P2118 Porsche OBD Error Code
|P2118 Buick OBD Error Code
|P2118 Jaguar OBD Error Code
|P2118 Saab OBD Error Code
|P2118 Cadillac OBD Error Code
|P2118 Jeep OBD Error Code
|P2118 Scion OBD Error Code
|P2118 Chevrolet OBD Error Code
|P2118 Kia OBD Error Code
|P2118 Subaru OBD Error Code
|P2118 Chrysler OBD Error Code
|P2118 Lexus OBD Error Code
|P2118 Toyota OBD Error Code
|P2118 Dodge OBD Error Code
|P2118 Lincoln OBD Error Code
|P2118 Vauxhall OBD Error Code
|P2118 Ford OBD Error Code
|P2118 Mazda OBD Error Code
|P2118 Volkswagen OBD Error Code
|P2118 GMC OBD Error Code
|P2118 Mercedes OBD Error Code
|P2118 Volvo OBD Error Code
Easy Diagnosis of Engine Error OBD Code P2118
Here are some steps you need to follow to diagnose this P2118 fault code:
- As a first step in any troubleshooting process, you should search for the TSB for your specific vehicle by year, model, and powerplant. This is very essential as you can save a lot of time by directing on the right path.
- Second, you have to locate all the components that are linked to the throttle actuator control system. In a simplex system, it may include the throttle body, throttle position sensor, throttle actuator control motor, PCM, and throttle position sensor.
- Once you find all of these parts, check them carefully, as well as their related cables, because there may be defects such as burned spots or cables, scratches, scuffs, or melted plastic.
- Next, check the connectors on all components for damaged pins or corrosion.
- Lastly, you have to visually inspect the throttle plate. Turn off the ignition switch and try to turn the throttle plate by pushing on it. You should be able to rotate to the fully open position.
- While accessing, if there is any mud behind, wipe it with a rag.
- To perform the advanced step, you need advanced equipment that is specific to the vehicle to perform it correctly.
- To do this, you will need a digital multimeter and a specific technical reference. Depending on the year, model, and specific engine, voltage requirements will change.
- Turn off the ignition switch and separate the electrical connector from the throttle body. Place 2 pins that reach the engine into the throttle body. Adjust it to ohms with the help of the ohmmeter, and check the resistance in the motor.
- The reading on the engine will be between 2 and 25 ohms, depending on the specific vehicle.
- The throttle body must be replaced if the resistance is too high or too low. Check the voltage signal to the motor, if all tests pass.
- A continuity test must be performed if there is no power supply or ground to check the integrity of the cables. Remove power from the circuit and perform the continuity test by adjusting the readings to a resistance of 0 ohms if specified in the technical data.
- The cables must be repaired or replaced if there is no continuity, which indicates that the cables are defective.
Common errors when diagnosing the P2118 code
It’s very easy to make a mistake when you ignore a small step like visual inspection. The repair process can be very simple like identifying a damaged cable and fixing it. Each of these steps must be followed in a logical order and performed correctly.