The most common failures of the Nissan NV are usually caused by transmission problems. Nissan has had issues with the transmission used in this truck in the past and when there is a problem you will usually notice excessive noise while driving and may also have difficulty shifting.
Another very common problem with the Nissan NV van is usually caused by the catalytic converter. The jack in the manifold has been known to fail prematurely and this is a component that can be expensive to replace if it becomes damaged. Aside from these two issues plus the ones we’ll list below, the NV truck is usually a pretty good option if you’re looking for a work or cargo truck.
Typical features of the Nissan NV
There are a few different features that are typical of Nissan NV models. These include:
- A V6 engine
- rear wheel drive
- A seven-speed automatic transmission
- An available all-wheel drive system
Common Nissan NV Failures
The Nissan NV is a range of vans produced by the Japanese automaker Nissan since 2009. The NV designation stands for “Nissan Van.”
There have been three generations of the NV200:
- The first generation was produced from 2009 to 2014, and was based on the Nissan Tiida hatchback.
- The second generation was produced from 2014 to the present, and is based on Nissan’s V platform.
- The third generation of the NV200 was introduced in May 2018.
Despite being a reliable van, the Nissan NV is not without its problems. Some of the common failures that owners have reported include:
1. Leakage problems
One of the most common Nissan NV problems is leaks. These can occur in different areas of the van, including the door seals, sunroof, and windows.
In some cases, these leaks can cause water damage to the interior of the van.
2. Failure with the brakes
Another common fault with the Nissan NV van is the brakes. Some owners have reported that the brakes are noisy, while others have said that they feel like they are not working properly.
The brake problem is often found on models that are equipped with the all-wheel drive system.
3. Suspension failure
Nissan NV owners may experience suspension failure. Some of the most common problems are uneven tire wear, suspension noise, and rough driving.
These problems are often caused by worn suspension components such as shocks and struts.
4. Electrical problems
The electrical system is another area that can cause problems for Nissan NV owners. Some common failures include the van not starting, the lights not working, and the stereo system not responding.
These problems are usually caused by loose connections, blown fuses, or faulty wiring.
5. Malfunctions in the transmission
Some Nissan NV owners have reported transmission problems. People have said that the van is having a hard time shifting gears, while others have reported that the transmission has failed completely.
6. Space issues
Although the Nissan NV is a large van, some people have found that it does not have enough space for their needs. This is especially true for the cargo area, which is smaller than some other vans on the market. Sliding door models can also be difficult to get in and out of.
Nissan NV vs. Nissan NV200
The Nissan NV200 is a smaller version of the Nissan NV. It was introduced in 2009 and is still in production. The NV200 is based on the Nissan Tiida, just like the first generation of the NV.
The NV200 has a few different features than the NV, including:
- A four cylinder engine
- Front-wheel drive
- A continuously variable transmission
The NV200 also has a few different issues than the NV. These include:
One of the biggest problems with the Nissan NV200 is that it is often rented, rather than bought. This means that people who want to buy one outright may have a hard time finding it. One way around this problem is to buy a used NV200.
Another problem with the Nissan NV200 is that it can be expensive to maintain. This is because parts can be hard to find and labor costs are high.
Expenses come from common repairs like brakes and transmission.
3- Lack of security features
Some people have also said that the NV200 lacks some of the safety features that are available on other vans. This includes airbags and traction control.
Unfortunately, the Nissan NV also doesn’t have forward collision alert, blind spot monitor or lane departure alert like other Nissan cars.
Nissan NV vs. Nissan NV300
The Nissan NV300 is a full-size van that was introduced in 2016. It is based on Nissan’s V platform, which is also used for the second generation of the NV.
The NV300 has a few different features than the NV, including:
- A V6 engine
- rear wheel drive
- An eight-speed automatic transmission
- An available all-wheel drive system
Problems with this model include:
1. Lack of cargo space
One of the biggest problems with the Nissan NV300 is that it doesn’t have a lot of cargo space. This is because the van is designed for people who need to transport large items, such as furniture.
However, the NV300 can only fit a maximum of two standard pallets in the cargo area. This means that it is not as versatile as other vans on the market.
2. Fuel savings
One of the biggest problems with the Nissan NV300 is its fuel economy. Some people have reported that the van gets less than 20 mpg, which is pretty poor.
One solution to this problem is to get the all-wheel drive system, which improves fuel economy by a few miles per gallon.
3. Infotainment system
Another drawback of the Nissan NV300 is its infotainment system. Some people have found the system difficult to use and that it doesn’t have all the features they want. The system also has a tendency to freeze up, which can be frustrating for drivers.
How to Avoid Nissan NV Problems
There are a few things you can do to avoid Nissan NV problems.
- First of all, make sure that the van is serviced regularly. This will help keep the components in good condition and prevent major problems.
- Second, make sure you’re up to date on any recalls. Nissan has made some NV recalls, so it’s important to be aware of them. Lastly, consider buying a used NV.
This can be a great way to get a van in good condition without paying full price.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Nissan NV
Since you know the list of common Nissan NV faults, it is good that you know about the benefits. People like to drive the NV series vans for a variety of reasons.
- Some people find them comfortable and roomy, while others appreciate the fact that they are easy to drive.
- Drivers say they have few problems with NV vans and that they are generally reliable.
- In terms of cargo space, NV vans have plenty of room for most people’s needs. The 2021 model can hold up to 1,480 pounds of cargo.
- These vans are ideal for people who need to transport large objects or a lot of people.
- Nissan offers a wide range of customization options for the NV, allowing drivers to personalize the van to meet their specific needs. These customization options include different sizes of wheels and racks.
- NV vans also have a variety of features that people appreciate, such as Bluetooth connectivity, navigation, and a rear view camera.
- Favorite Nissan NV models include the NV1500, NV2500 and NV3500.
- These vans can be expensive to maintain
- The NV series may not have all the security features that some people want.
- Some security features are not available on all models.
- Nissan NV vans may not have the best fuel economy.
What do the reviews say about the Nissan NV?
Among the comments and opinions, a review of the 2017 Nissan NV on Cars.com stated:
“Purchased new in 2012. We use it in our business as a delivery truck. At 375,000 miles the only thing that needed to be fixed was a front wheel bearing which was done under warranty at 97,000 miles. No engine, transmission or rear end issues beyond regular lube changes.”
When it comes to the 2019 NV200, another review on Edmunds.com says:
“Amazing great van MPG avg 26.5 mpg, I use it for commuting and camping trips, LOVE My Van!”
When you own a Nissan NV, it’s important to keep up with the maintenance. This will help prevent problems and keep the van running smoothly.
Van maintenance can be different from car maintenance, so it’s important to check your owner’s manual.
Here are some tips for maintaining your NV van:
- Change your oil every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first.
- Change the air filter every 12 months or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Check your brakes and tires regularly.
- Take the van to a regular maintenance service. Some NV models may need service every 7,500 miles.
The Nissan NV is a popular choice for people who need a van for work or personal use. These vans are roomy and comfortable, and generally have few issues.
However, they can be expensive to maintain and may not have all the security features that some people want.
When shopping for an NV van, be sure to consider the model, condition, and mileage. With proper maintenance, your NV van will serve you for many years.